Wednesday, December 25, 2013

MY FRUIT SALAD

.This is the Filipino Fruit Salad that I included in our Christmas dessert besides the traditional Apple Pie. I haven’t had this in a long time so when I was planning my menu I made sure to make this too. Thank goodness there’s a Filipino store about 30 minutes drive away from us. I couldn't make this with just fruit cocktails and pineapples. The essential ingredients for the Filipino Fruit Salad are the coconut gel and sugar palm fruit. The stuff that makes it sweet are easily found in any grocery store.

INGREDIENTS :
fruit cocktail (2 cans), drained
1 jar of coconut gel, drained
1 jar of sugar palm fruit, drained
1 can of mandarin oranges, drained
1 can of condense milk
3  or 4 spoonfuls of cool whip

Drain the liquid from the fruit cocktail, coconut gel, sugar palm fruit and mandarin oranges. As you can see, I’m using store brand fruit cocktails. They’re cheaper. There are items in our groceries that needs to be certain brands (mayonnaise must be Hellman’s) but when it comes stuff like this, store/generic brands are just fine. Whichever is cheaper or on sale. They taste the same. It’s called saving in groceries 101.
You can replace mandarin oranges with pineapple chunks if you prefer. We love mandarin oranges and the mild sweetness and texture is just how I like it.
Dump the fruit cocktail, coconut gel, palm fruit and mandarin oranges in a storage bowl/container. Add the condense milk and 3 or 4 spoonfuls of cool whip. Gently fold/mix everything together with a flat spatula. That’s it. Cover and store in the fridge overnight. It is so much better after spending  at least a night in the fridge. The colder the better, as long as it’s not frozen.
We still have some leftovers. I just had lunch and I think I’ll have a cup of the sweet, calorie laden Filipino Fruit Salad  

No comments:

Post a Comment